One man's attempt to explain his rationale for the otherwise very mundane things he does.

Monday, October 11, 2004

In case you haven't noticed...

I finally got my laptop back, sans repair, but I'll get to that in a minute. Gone for 25 days for them to try and diagnose why my laptop sometimes wakes up from Standby on its own. So there I am standing at their repair center counter talking with the tech (not the one who worked on my computer) and I say, "What did they do to fix my laptop?" His response was a slightly underwhelming, "I dunno....let's look....Hmmmm...It looks like they.....reinstalled the OS."

You have got to be kidding me. My laptop was gone for 25 days for them to do what I could have done in 45 minutes? No way. I press him a little further. Do you have any more information on what they did? Sure, he shows me the steps they took in diagnosing the problem. The first step is labeled with a date nearly 20 full days after I gave them my laptop...20 days? What the heck was it doing during that time? Who knows...

So then, I bring it home. Boot it up for the first time, and guess what....Their idiot tech somehow screwed up the OS install...so here I am without a laptop for 3/4 of a month, and when I get it back, not only has it been wiped of my data, but oh yeah, for a little extra panache, I have to perform a system restore....which I would have done in the first place, if it had been a problem with the software, but it wasn't!!!!

Anyway, so now I'm in a pickle, which by the way is a terrible place to be. What to do with the laptop that's not safe to take in my bag, because it turns itself on, and will nearly melt before I notice... Do I send it in again for another possible 3 week trip, just to find out that they think it's a software issue? Or do I just say screw it and suck it up? I think we both know the answer to this question. I politely walk into the store, laptop in tow, and, you know, "Burn the place down." [Don't miss the 7th piece of trivia].

Needless to say, I'll be without my laptop for a few weeks again soon. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home